Saturday, May 09, 2009

It's amazing what can happen in 3 years....

Up until this morning I had forgotten that this blog had ever existed. I stumbled onto it as I started a brand new blog that reflects my life as of today, May 9, 2009. I've never been much of a blogger, but I thought that it would be a fantastic way of communicating, sharing photographs, and updating life with my partners family out in the Midwest. (http://chittickstocksfamily.blogspot.com)

A lot has changed within the past few years. Let me see if I can update you in 5 paragraphs or less:

Personally, I am now divorced but relishing in a relationship with a wonderful man that shares a huge part of my soul. He is my best friend, my confidant, my partner in crime, my sounding board, the 'cooker' of my meals and 'folder' of my clean laundry. He is the sharer of my space and the keeper of my time --- My missing piece.

My boys have grown by leaps and bounds! Owen is 7 and finishing up the 2nd grade. He is a natural artist and his talent has blossomed this year. I can't believe what this boy can do with pencil and paper! Liam is on the upside of 5 and will be starting Kindergarten in the fall. He is starting his first season of T-ball and is finding his knack in the world of sports.

As far as my art is concerned, to date I have made 378 dolls/sculptures and have sold pieces world wide. Like my personal life, my life as an artist have evolved 10-fold over the years. I am no longer sculpting just for me but for a wide variety of people from all walks of life. First, let me share that I have sold the copyrights to 3 life sized pieces that have been mass produced into vinyl and resold as kits to reborn artists. I have never been a very public person, so to have my name tied to reproduced dolls out there is a very overwhelming thing for me. But there is strength in the overwhelming. A good friend once told me "If you don't push yourself to the point of fear, how will you ever truly know what your limits are?"

My heart and soul belong to my Memorial pieces. I have mastered the art of 'likeness' and have used that mastery to create portrait pieces for families who have lost children in pregnancy, birth, to SIDS, or other illness. In all actuality 85% of my work falls into this realm because this is where my passion lies, my motivation behind my creations. It fills me with so much joy to know that I can share this, fairly, new discovered talent with those who are still trying to find their tangible peace. Even if what I have created only fills the void for a brief moment, I'm forever glad that I was able to help with that solace for the road of grief is not mapped out very well.

But there is still a part of me that really enjoys sculpting from my imagination. There is something to be said about stepping away from the human newborn figure and stepping into the world of fantasy. I truly enjoy sculpting my version of what one might find if they were to peek under a lilac bush mid-spring and find a fairy baby nestled safely in the underbrush. The unknown is undefined, and the limits really are limitless.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home